Saturday, April 11, 2020

Coming to you live, this is...NPR

I've listened to a lot of radio broadcasts in my life. Back when I still lived in Venezuela, I was obsessed with a horror-themed public access radio show called "Nuestro insolito Universo", which was like my 10-Year-old self's version of a radio Horror "Black Mirror".  It was SICK! Then I moved here and never listened to it again...sad.

Anyways, as someone who has a lot of suburbanite liberal™️friends (even if I am admittedly more radical than they are), I have listened to a LOT of NPR when they give my rides. I even went to a Pete Buttigieg rally in, like, May of last year and they were BLASTING NPR (they'll never be as hype as Bernie rallies tho, rip the king).

Anyways, my sadness aside. I knew it was time to get the narrative crux of this short film recorded: the voice memos. First, I wanted to practice the accent. 


I looked up tutorials. I trained. I studied the blade. Adjectives. Anyways, it was too hard, so I decided "as long as I sound slightly like a New York Italian man, I think I've nailed it". So while I was over at Sil's house to help them finish editing their AS-Level opening (Hi Tstock this is me being a good representative of your helpful values), I decided "hey, I have a spare moment".

XO One Gaming Headset – Turtle Beach®
God they're ugly

So I borrowed her brother's gaming headphones that look kind of like this, connected them to my phone using the Apple inc. Certified headset-to-charging port adapter, opened up memos and went into this weird storage-style room in the middle of their house and locked the door behind me.
 So after a few minutes, I took three. Two of them I love, the other is a scrap cause I did not sound coherent or even Italian, it was like spoken-word doodles.

Here is a sample of what those sounded like:



After I got home, I decided to get ahead while I could and just go ham in downloading sounds I knew I was going to need to create my soundscape for the short film

I am becoming very passionate about sound design. Maybe it's meticulous, but even all the way back when I worked on Mirage, I always wanted it to have an intricate soundscape that was as alive as possible. Will I need more sounds? who's to say, I probably will. But for now, I am very happy I got ahead. 

Credits to the sound downloaders that made some of these youtube videos into MP3's/MP3 downloaders:

Additional shoutout to old, free access radio shows for still being archived online.

No comments:

Post a Comment