Sunday, April 12, 2020

I become an FM Radio ☆//MEET BERNIE!!!!

Today's topic: A continuation of me completing my soundscape, specifically through playing around w/software until my voice became the perfect radio host voice for this piece. BUT, before we do that, I wanna introduce you to the newest member of our Crew...
Meet my kitten, Bernardo aka Bernie
Yes! That's a live kitten I adopted! Well, technically, Sil helped me adopt him 99% of the way there. Story time: I like Sil's cat, Pikachu, a lot. That, plus the fact I think having another animal may boost the mood of my aging dog (whom I love) led me to consider adopting a kitten. So Sil, being the quickster she is, looked up some forms, filled them out for me and filed them with the Broward Pet&Animal rescue for kitten adoptions, and within hours of her posting them I got a call to go pick up a kitten!

I was SUPER NERVOUS about picking him up today, I could barely sleep. Before we went to pick him up, I went over to Sil's and got working on my project (we will discuss that in a second after story time). Once I got another call to go pick him up, we went quickly on our way to the shelter and after I signed a few papers they brought out for me (stay away COVID-19), they brought out Bernie along with food+kitty litter for him. In short, thanks in part to COVID, adopting a pet right now is WAYYYYYY easier than it realistically should be. I am not complaining though, I am just pointing that out. Anyways, me and Sil brought him back home after buying a litter box and collar for him, and while my family is very surprised and apprehensive, they've promised to give him a chance.


So for your viewing pleasure, here is the first ever picture I took of Bernie! It was when I unboxed him while he was in the car.
1st ever picture!
 Anyways, that has been Bernie! Now on to actual content.!

Imma be real I do not comprehend what this means
So as y'all saw, I downloaded Audacity onto my laptop and I was hoping to use it for some ~real~ soundscape style action. Unfortunately, Audacity is like NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to operate successfully. Its user manual is 25 pages long, the interface is ugly and super clunky and the compression bars are complicated AF and DO NOT match the videos I watched and memorized yesterday AT ALL, so I had no real idea how to work audacity all day. So there I was, kitten by my side, Audacity on my screen and I was feeling FRUSTRATED. So I googled viable alternatives and came upon what would soon be my saving grace: Adobe Audtion.

After launching the Adobe cloud, a privilege I owe to Sil's email AND my sister's .Edu email (call me Parasite the way I be leenchin') I got working on Audition. For those who don't know, Audition is just like premiere Pro except you edit just sound. It's like a DJ booth for just sounds I need to edit/make for a video or movie. I googled one (1) tutorial and I followed it to the T.



Immediately, the change was HUGE. The interface was SO easy to navigate and I didn't get lost. Unlike Audacity which is a steaming hot pile of garbage.








                                                                          After, I just messed around with the settings. First, as the video did, I went to the broadcast preset and made it active which was already a huge boost. Then, I got unto the nitty gritty of sound design (it's displayed in the video but I'll run you through what I did to achieve the sound you hear):
1. Heavily compressed the bass to -6.0 (dial 1)
2. Lowered Mid-frequencies to give the broadcast a flatter, older feeling with -52 DB's (dial 2)
3. Increased lead frequencies, those being my voice, so I sound like I am speaking in an empty room with the added "bzzz" effect of the lowered Mids (dial 3)
4. Completely knocked off the treble in my voice so that there's no reverb and my voice is led by Bass, making it sound artificially deeper and for there to be no "pops" in the sound that would break from the "old-time radio" aesthetic of the sound.
5. You're now a pro-sound designer. Congrats.

So yes, I am 10000000000% a convert. Adobe audition > Audacity.
Meme made by me

Here's a sample of the new audios:


Anyways, now that I fixed all my sounds plus learned valuable skills. I'm ready to get shooting later this week when both me and Sil aren't busy with work shifts. Being an essential worker is #rough in this economy.
Anyways, thank y'all for your company,
This has been Gus (who still doesn't know a good phrase for signing off with).

No comments:

Post a Comment