Friday, March 27, 2020

What's the deal with film festivals?

I had an interesting thought...

So today, as I was driving my Girlfriend Sil to and from shooting her AS-Level Project at a local restaurant, a woman who worked there mentioned how her daughter is married to Trey Edward Schultz, the director of Waves and a 2-time winner of South By Southwest's (SXSW) film fest.

Since most distribution will be done via festivals for our short film in order of viability, top 5 edition:

1. Sundance-
Pros: Super large and very well known/respected. Independently hosted so vert short film friendly. 
Cons: Super competitive :(

2. Cannes film fest-
Pros: Famous AF. No entry fees. Very lenient on time requirements.
Cons: Picky, arguably most competitive field.

3. TIFF-
Pros: referred to as the "most influential film fest" by TIME mag, Cheap to enter, most globally attended.
Cons: not many that I can identify.

4. Aspen shorts-
Pros: All short films, Oscar-qualifying event, cash prices, massive influence.
Cons: Expensive fees. Highly limited # of spots and very secretive selection system.

5. Palm Springs Short Fest-
Pros: Oscar-qualifying event, largest short film fest in NA, independently run and open to new creators
Cons: High competition

~ALTERNATIVELY~
All festivals are cancelled this year due to COVID.
Distribution will rely on:
Youtube+Vimeo+anywhere I can self-post like my social media-

Cons of this: Not as much exposure, followers can ignore me.
Pros of this: I am shameless, so I can self-promote with 0 consciousness.

Research links:

No comments:

Post a Comment